The Formula 1 season is in danger after the cancellation of Singapore

Singapore Grand Prix show =

Race organizers confirmed in a statement on Friday that the 2021 Singapore Grand Prix has been canceled for the second year in a row due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with several Formula 1 nations at risk and possibly the entire season at risk.

The BBC and SkyTV previously reported that the night race from October 1-3 at Marina Bay has been halted due to immigration restrictions.

“Canceling the event for a second year is a very difficult decision, but one necessary in light of the restrictions placed on live events in Singapore,” said Colin Sen, Vice President of Singapore GBPT Limited.

“We will not be able to provide the full event experience that fans have come to expect over the years, while protecting the health and safety of our fans, contractors, volunteers and employees.”

The race attracts tens of thousands of fans from all over the world, with concerts and other entertainment on the sidelines.

Tickets for this year’s race haven’t been sold yet.

Singapore is following Canada off the schedule and likely not the latest victim of the pandemic, with Japan, Brazil, Mexico and Australia looking unsure about the original 23-round slate.

Australia has already been pushed back to November, but travel within the country is very limited.

A Formula 1 spokesperson said the sport had alternatives to fill the void.

“We continue to work with all of our promoters during this changing time and have many options to adapt if necessary,” he said.

Turkey, which was supposed to replace Canada but was also cancelled, would be a potential alternative to talks also about the return of China and a possible second race to the United States.

READ  How to watch Gateshead Diamond League live

Austin, Texas is set to host the United States Grand Prix in late October, but it could advance a double title, although there is speculation that Indianapolis is under consideration.

This may appeal to US-based commercial rights holder Liberty Media.

Formula 1 faces a separate challenge, with Dutch authorities telling Formula 1 that all staff involved in the Zandvoort race in September must be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Red Bull boss Christian Horner said this could be a problem for the younger members of the team still waiting for a jab. (Reporting by Alan Baldwin)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *