Spain’s ex-king renews immunity case in UK harassment case

The 84-year-old former king is facing a lawsuit brought by Corina zu Sayn Wittgenstein-Sain, who alleges Juan Carlos led a campaign of harassment against her since 2012 that continues.

A lower court rejected Juan Carlos’s request for immunity in March, but he was given the green light to appeal part of that decision in July.

Lawyers for Juan Carlos told the London Court of Appeal on Tuesday that he categorically denied Sayn-Wittgenstein’s allegations. He argues that any alleged harassment prior to his abdication in 2014 is covered by immunity.

But Sain-Wittgenstein’s lawyers say the harassment is a private act carried out in the service of the “hidden agenda” of the former governor.

“Immunity says nothing about the legality or morality of the alleged behaviour,” Timothy Otti, representing Juan Carlos, told the court.

He said Sain-Wittgenstein’s allegations that the former head of Spain’s CIA, General Sanz Rolden, orchestrated a secret operation to raid her apartment in Monaco in 2012 were covered up by state immunity.

Otti argued that it was impossible to separate his client’s “alleged private motives” from “the public service which gave the defendant status and the ability to exercise influence over public officials”.

James Lewis, representing Sein-Wittgenstein, said in his written arguments that Sein-Wittgenstein wanted to rely on new information, including the “close relationship” between Juan Carlos and Rolden, who is said to have visited the former king frequently in exile in the United States. UAE.

Sayn Wittgenstein also claims that the harassment occurred after Juan Carlos used them to hide “large sums of money” from the Spanish authorities and that the harassment was intended to control them so he could gain access to them.

See also  Sunday Shopping: Hardware Stores Want Discussion

Previously revered for his role in Spain’s transition to democracy, Juan Carlos was forced to abdicate in 2014 after a series of scandals, including his affair with Sain-Wittgenstein, and is now seen as an obstacle to his son, King Philip.

Spanish prosecutors dropped two investigations into alleged fraud in the former king’s cases in March after they failed to find sufficient evidence of criminal activity, following a similar move by Swiss prosecutors last December.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *