The US Department of Justice said Thursday that it will appeal a federal judge’s decision to allow the appointment of an independent expert to review documents seized by the Federal Bureau of Investigation during a search of Donald Trump’s home.
• Read also: These Republicans are against Trump
The Republican billionaire had asked the courts to appoint an independent third party to examine papers seized during this astonishing and unprecedented police operation for a former president, in order to determine what could be returned to him or classified as “secret” – so they could not be used in investigations targeting him. .
Judge Eileen Cannon, appointed by Trump himself in 2020, decided on September 5 to grant his application a victory for the former president.
In addition to announcing the upcoming appeal, the Justice Department has requested that a judge’s ruling that is preventing authorities from accessing top-secret documents in its investigation be halted.
The department’s legal experts argued that these documents belonged to the executive branch, not the former president.
The ministry had strongly opposed the appointment of an independent third party, arguing that this could prevent investigators from accessing the documents and “would seriously harm the interests of the government, including national security.”
Donald Trump responded to the announcement of the department’s appeal by defending the decision of a “courageous and wonderful judge.”
The FBI and the administration will spend millions of dollars and a great deal of time and energy […] He said on his social network, Truth Social, instead of fighting corruption and recording crimes unfolding before our eyes.
On August 8, the FBI raided Mar-a-Lago, Donald Trump’s Florida residence, and confiscated boxes of classified documents that the Republican had not returned after leaving the White House, despite multiple requests.
Since then, Donald Trump, who is publicly planning to run for president in 2024, has been attacking an act he considers “unlawful and unconstitutional” and repeating that he was targeted for political reasons.
Investigators suspect that the Republican violated the US Espionage Act, which strictly regulates the possession of classified documents. Donald Trump confirmed that these documents have been declassified.
The detailed list of what was seized on August 8 in search of Mar-a-Lago also shows that Mr. Trump has kept more than 11,000 classified and unclassified state documents. He tells him he has the right to keep them, but they go legally to the National Archives.
“Evil thinker. Music scholar. Hipster-friendly communicator. Bacon geek. Amateur internet enthusiast. Introvert.”