nuclear program | Pyongyang condemns the statements of the Secretary-General of the United Nations

(Seoul) North Korea on Saturday denounced recent remarks by United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Pyongyang’s nuclear program, which he said posed a “clear and present danger.”


North Korean leader Kim Jong Un earlier this month called for a “massive increase in North Korea’s nuclear arsenal,” as the ruling Workers’ Party announced the development of “intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs).”

On Thursday, Guterres told a meeting of the UN Security Council that it was up to North Korea to “return to the negotiating table,” which collapsed in 2019.

“The DPRK’s illegal nuclear weapons program presents a clear and present danger, which increases geopolitical risks and tensions,” Guterres said at a meeting on the rule of law, according to the UN website.

On Saturday night, Pyongyang denounced “exemplary double standards” by Mr. Guterres, who is also accused of “undermining the international community’s trust in the United Nations,” according to the official KCNA news agency. Central News Agency.

The statement, attributed to senior Foreign Ministry official Cho Cheol-soo, criticized the UN Secretary-General for condoning the “reckless accumulation of weapons” by the United States, which “constantly brings in all kinds of means of nuclear strikes on the Korean Peninsula and in the region.”

Seoul and Washington gave Pyongyang the intention to conduct a new nuclear test soon, which will be the seventh in its history and the first since 2017.

See also  Meng Wanzhou's defense mentions the judge's role in extradition hearings

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.