Netflix will neutralize greenhouse gas emissions by the end of 2022

Today, most of the digital giants are aware of their impact on the environment and have launched ambitious programs to reduce this impact. And this week, it’s Netflix’s turn to announce its show. The giant video-on-demand system aims to reduce net greenhouse gas emissions by the end of 2022.

By launching this program, Netflix is ​​aligning itself with the goals of the Paris Agreement and helping to stabilize the climate so that the increase does not exceed 1.5 ° C. In order to achieve its new goals, Netflix offers a three-step plan.

Netflix aims to have zero emissions by the end of 2022

First of all, the company intends to reduce its internal emissions. Then, for shows that cannot be avoided (including “Band 3” showing that it has no direct control), Netflix will compensate for this by investing in projects. That prevent carbon from entering the atmosphere.

As the company explains: By the end of 2022, we will combine investments in the regeneration of vital natural ecosystems to achieve net zero. These projects, such as restoring grasslands, mangroves and healthy soils, and carbon capture and storage, among other benefits. “

But where do the Netflix shows come from?

According to the company, its carbon footprint in 2020 was 1 million tons. Nearly half of those performances came from physical production of their content. 45% came from corporate operations (such as offices) and purchased goods. As for the remaining 5%, it comes from services like Amazon Web Services or Open Connect CDN.

Netflix specifies that it does not include in its accounts the Internet transmission or electronic devices used by its subscribers. “Internet service providers and device manufacturers have operational control over the design and manufacture of their devices, so they perfectly represent these emissions themselves.”The video on demand giant justifies.

See also  Why is it necessary to watch "Madame Claude" on Netflix?

However, Netflix says it has joined an initiative called DIMPACT that is working to build consensus on how to measure the impact of internet and streaming sites’ use. Led by the University of Bristol, researchers designed a calculator that we used to validate our estimates, and concluded that an hour of broadcasting on Netflix in 2020 was well below 100gCO2e, which is the equivalent of driving a gasoline-powered passenger car for a quarter of a mile (or 400 meters) “Refers to the company.

Anyway, by launching this program, Netflix joins Silicon Valley’s club of actors working against climate change. One of the most ambitious projects is the Apple project.

Cupertino’s goal is that by 2030, it will be completely carbon-neutral. Currently, it already uses 100% renewable energy, and claims a neutral carbon footprint for its commercial activities.

But in 2030, Apple will be carbon neutral even considering the supply chain and suppliers. In order to achieve these goals, the company intends to reduce emissions by 75%, and offset the remaining 25% with decarbonization. Apple also relies heavily on using recycled materials. And in 2020, she decided not to include a charger in her smartphone’s packaging, in order to reduce e-waste (assuming most people no longer need a new charger).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *