COVID-19 in Shanghai | The United States orders members of its consulate to leave the city

(Shanghai) The US embassy said, on Tuesday, that the United States ordered non-essential employees of its consulate in Shanghai to leave the city, against the backdrop of an epidemic outbreak and strict containment measures in the capital.

Posted yesterday at 10:27 PM.

China’s economic capital is facing the largest increase in cases since the start of the epidemic. Authorities have locked down nearly all of the population of 25 million, and placed those who have tested positive in quarantine centres.

In this context, the US State Department has ordered “the departure of (its personnel) due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic,” a spokesperson for the United States Embassy said in a statement.

US diplomats also informed Chinese authorities of their “concerns about the safety and well-being of US citizens,” the text outlines.

China is one of the last countries in the world to implement a strict zero-to-COVID-19 strategy.

It consists of several measures: confinement as soon as a few cases appear, separating people who test positive from the rest of the population, visas issued intermittently, quarantine on arrival in the territory or even tracking of movements.

China’s Ministry of Health reported more than 23,000 new positive cases in Shanghai on Tuesday.

Almost all of its 25 million residents are still confined to their homes, and some are having difficulty getting food back.

Many of those who tested positive were also placed in solitary confinement in large quarantine centers set up in exhibition halls or prefab buildings.

The US embassy had already indicated last week that it had “allowed” non-essential consulate employees to leave Shanghai. It also felt that US citizens risk facing the “arbitrary application” of anti-COVID-19 restrictions.

See also  At Eric Zemmour's headquarters, After Hope, Hangovers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.